Monday, November 12, 2012

Formal Paper Proposal #2


Topic-  For my second formal paper, I will explore the double standards in American 
culture with regards to gender.  I will focus on dating, hooking up, looks, and gossip.

Exigence: What prompts me to write this paper is the fact that I experience these double standards in my everyday life, and I know that the same is true for my peers.  These double standards, such as difference in treatment of men and women for partaking in the same activities, for example, girls are often labeled as sluts for being promiscuous, while boys are congratulated and praised for hooking up with as many girls as possible.  This difference of treatment from society greatly effects men and women everywhere and the bottom line is that it is completely unfair and wrong.

Claim: Women are treated unequally from men, mainly in regards to sexual encounters and using sexuality to their advantage.  Women seem to be constantly penalized while men are encouraged.

Main Evidence:
The evidence I will use will come from a variety of sources, some research will be done from web articles or magazines, and the rest of it will come from the articles we have read and discussed in class. One quote I will use is from Kimball’s Bros Before Hoes, that says, “ Never listen to a thing a woman is saying, but express immediate and unquenchable sexual interest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment